play_circle_outline

I Can't Even News 15: Smug Cocktail [08/Jun/21]

T.L. Hirsch looks at all the real and not made up happenings of the last week or so.

41Upvotes
8Reminds
thumb_upthumb_downchat_bubble

More from TL;DR

I just want everyone to be aware of Youtube's latest move towards making their platform unusable. So, remember a few months ago where Youtube upped the limit on entering the "partner program"? Basically making thousands of channels now ineligible for monetization? Do you also remember all the suspicious stuff where Youtube would say a video/stream/whatever was "not eligible for monetization" or "restricted" and yet adverts would still be run on the content and thus Youtube would pocket 100% of the revenue? Well, they've just made it official. Youtube will now be monetizing any and all content on their platform and pocketing 100% of the revenue generated from your work as a small content creator. Then when/if you reach the absurd new criteria for being a "partner" Youtube will then grant you access to the princely sum of 31% of the ad revenue your content generates. The other 69% of course, going to Youtube's coffers in the form of 40% Youtube cut and the 29% in tax you pay to the US government.

1.37k views · May 22nd

More from TL;DR

I just want everyone to be aware of Youtube's latest move towards making their platform unusable. So, remember a few months ago where Youtube upped the limit on entering the "partner program"? Basically making thousands of channels now ineligible for monetization? Do you also remember all the suspicious stuff where Youtube would say a video/stream/whatever was "not eligible for monetization" or "restricted" and yet adverts would still be run on the content and thus Youtube would pocket 100% of the revenue? Well, they've just made it official. Youtube will now be monetizing any and all content on their platform and pocketing 100% of the revenue generated from your work as a small content creator. Then when/if you reach the absurd new criteria for being a "partner" Youtube will then grant you access to the princely sum of 31% of the ad revenue your content generates. The other 69% of course, going to Youtube's coffers in the form of 40% Youtube cut and the 29% in tax you pay to the US government.

1.37k views · May 22nd