explicitClick to confirm you are 18+

Understanding Urogynecologists - Why They're Different from OB-Gynecologists

besthealthtipscurrentlyFeb 5, 2019, 12:44:21 AM

Doctors termed urogynecologists, or urogyns, have special training in the diagnosis and treatment of females having pelvic floor disorders. Even with your primary care physician, OB/GYN, or urologist having knowledge of these conditions, a urogyn has more expertise. Speak to your GP about a urogyn referral if you have prolapse issues or are experiencing urinary or fecal incontinence. In addition, if you find it hard to empty your bladder or bowel, or if you're experiencing any kind of pain around the pelvic or bladder area, a urogyn can certainly help.

Defining a Urogynecologist

Urogynecologists are medical doctors who have completed residency program in Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology. These physicians are specialists who had extensive training and experience in assessing and treating conditions involving the female pelvic organs, including the muscles and connective tissue within and around them. Many urogynecologist options complete formal fellowships (more training following residency) that concentrate on treating non-cancerous gynecologic issues with or without surgery. Common problems handled by a urogynecologist include urinary leakage or incontinence, bladder overactivity and pelvic organ (vagina, uterus, etc.) prolapse. Do go to www.petermlotzemd.com to learn more. 

Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery

received their board certification. As part of the requirements of maintaining their status as certified urogyns, these doctors take ongoing education courses to keep their knowledge current.

Board Certified Urogynecologist or Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon

If a physician claims he is board-certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, that means he has passed exams conducted by the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (ABOG) and the American Board of Urology (ABU). Or it can also mean that the doctor has passed exams given by the American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AOBOG) and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). Whichever applies in the situation, board certification is the only proof that a doctor is a tested and proven urogyn.

The first ever ABOG/ABU board certification exams were given in 2013. Doctors who completed their training beyond 2012 must have gained their board certification eligibility through an accredited fellowship. As stated earlier, the AOA/AOBOG conducted their first certification exams in urogynecology just a year prior to the first ABOG/ABU exams.

As always, never hesitate to ask about a urogynecologist's training and expertise before deciding to enter their care. Although you will find many equally credentialed urogynecologists these days, there will always remain a few nuances that you should find out before becoming their patient. Make a shortlist of prospects and do some online research. This can be helpful in finding a urogynecologist who is not just a technical expert but someone who is actually treat you as an individual rather than just a case. You'll want to get more info about pelvic floor prolapse moving forward: https://youtu.be/ak5JkJTlu0E